Friday 10 January 2014

SEA DAYS: GETTING USED TO THE FOOD

The first few days of this hitch on the REM Installer, I had massive shocks to my system. I pride myself on eating fairly well at home (every one has bad days), which includes cooking with healthy oils and eating fresh meat. Every time i go on a hitch offshore, my body completely rejects the food at first. I think the main reason I have a problem adjusting to the food is because of the cheap cooking oils used and the processed meat that is prepared.


Typically, a vessel can be offshore for 2-3 weeks (in some cases longer) before receiving a crew boat providing new food supplies. When the crew includes anywhere from 60-100 people the grocery bill doesn’t usually have healthy and therefore pricier food options.

The meat has to come in large/frozen quantities to last until the next crew boat arrives. As we all know the longer the food is good for, the higher the chance it’s processed. You do the math. Besides the meat, cooked vegetables are also a problem. They are cooked in massive amounts of butter and salt. Always. This is also a lot different than what I’m used to at home because I normally just steam my vegetables and eat them plain.

It’s a sort of ‘take what you can get’ situation, I have to eat and therefore have to eat what’s made for me. I’m not a vegetarian (and don’t believe in it) but since I know the meat served on the boat isn’t all that great for me, my meal portions normally include ½ fresh vegetables, ¼ cooked vegetables and ¼ meat.


Even with these meal portions, my body hates me at the beginning of a hitch. My stomach will feel empty and/or in knots, I get light headed, have headaches and this time around I also got physically ill.  Even though I did have these side effects, they were a lot less this time around and I think these meal portions are still the best option for me while I’m at sea. This really goes to show what eating crappy food will do to you! I'm such a guinea pig.

Jess.
______

No comments:

Post a Comment